We follow the EYFS Statutory Framework 2022 (Reception) and National Curriculum: Art and Design programme of study (Years 1 - 6). We teach the curriculum through the Chris Quigley's Essentials Curriculum to ensure our pupils develop the skills needed to flourish as artists. Children are taught the essential characteristics of artists in order to help them 'think like an artist'. Our curriculum shows a progression in skills, ensuring pupils can meet the milestones for each key stage before moving on to the next step in their learning. Threshold Concepts for Art underpin the skills taught to ensure children can develop a thorough knowledge of Art and Design.
• The ability to use visual language skillfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations,
convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
• The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
• The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
• The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or
• An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
• The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
• Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
• The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
• The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
• A passion for and a commitment to the subject.
This concept involves understanding how ideas develop through an artistic process.
This concept involves developing a skill set so that ideas may be communicated.
This concept involves learning from both the artistic process and techniques of great artists and artisans throughout history.