Preston School was founded more than 200 years ago in 1818 by the ‘National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church in England and Wales’ where a small building was established in the village that marked our humble beginnings. In 1847, a modest second school building was constructed and was located in what is known today as School Lane.
Rumour has it that the first school building had to make way for the second to be built in its place. For the next 24 years the Preston School was classified as a charity school, before it adopted the name of ‘Preston Church of England School’ in 1873 – following the new Education Act of 1870 in which the school was being regulated by the state. The school underwent several modifications during the next 90 years or so, when ultimately it was decided that the derelict building became unsound and not fit for purpose anymore and subsequently it was demolished. Before the destruction of the old school building, and only after a lot of negotiation, it was then decided that a new school had to be built on the present day site fronting Back Lane. Thus, the third and present day school building proudly opened its doors in 1966.
During the many years that followed, ‘Preston Primary (VC) School’ underwent a few major changes including the addition of an annex in 2012 that included a resources room, a music room, a new staff room and a classroom for Reception.
Today, Preston Primary is still pursuing academic excellence, music and sporting distinction, and continues to provide a stimulating all-round education in a beautiful rural setting.