Preston School is a junior mixed infant voluntary controlled (VC) primary school accommodating children aged 4 to 11. We are situated in the pretty North Hertfordshire village of Preston, approximately 3 miles south of the market town of Hitchin. Our religious character was founded by the Church of England and we have strong ties with St. Martin’s Church in Preston.
Preston School was founded more than 200 years ago in 1818 by the ‘National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church in England and Wales’ where a small building was established in the village that marked our humble beginnings. In 1847, a modest second school building was constructed and was located in what is known today as School Lane.
During the many years that followed, ‘Preston Primary (VC) School’ underwent a few major changes including the addition of an annex in 2012 that included a resources room, a music room, a new staff room and a classroom for Reception.
Today, Preston Primary is still pursuing academic excellence, music and sporting distinction, and continues to provide a stimulating all-round education in a beautiful rural setting.