We follow the EYFS Statutory Framework 2022 (Reception) and National Curriculum: Music programme of study (Years 1 - 6). We teach the curriculum through the Chris Quigley's Essentials Curriculum to ensure our pupils develop the skills needed to flourish as musicians. Children are taught the essential characteristics of musicians in order to help them 'think like a musician'. Our curriculum shows a progression in skills, ensuring pupils can meet the milestones for each key stage before moving on to the next step in their learning. Threshold Concepts for Music underpin the skills taught to ensure children can develop a thorough knowledge of Music.
• A rapidly widening repertoire which they use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work.
• A musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of
• Very good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres.
• An excellent understanding of how musical provenance - the historical, social and cultural origins of music - contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
• The ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately.
• A passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.
This concept involves understanding that music is created to be performed.
This concept involves appreciating that music is created through a process which has a number of techniques.
This concept involves understanding that compositions need to be understood by others and that there are techniques and a language for communicating them.
This concept involves appreciating the features and effectiveness of musical elements.